Robert Gillanders Sr. started turning pipes for John Center in Edinburgh in the 1890′s, and when the Centers left for Australia in 1908, he went to work for the MacDougalls in Aberfeldy, then a few years later for the Thows in Dundee. His son Robert(Bert), worked with him for the Thows and eventually started his own business in 1926. Bert had a son named Robert(Bob) who worked with him from the age of 10. The father and son continued making bagpipes, and in 1972 the firm became Gillanders and McLeod with the addition of Iain McLeod(PM of the Edinburgh Police PB). The shop continued making pipes until 2010.
Below is a full ivory mounted set from pre 1959, “R. Gillanders” stamped on several pieces. The set belongs to, and is played regularly by Tyler Steinke of Grande Prairie, AB. Thanks to David McLean, also of Grande Prairie, AB for the pictures.
This next set belongs to Wally Lewis of Comox, BC. It is a pre 1958 set stamped “R. Gillanders” in the cords grooves, however the silver was added later in 1967.
Below is a button mounted set from the 1970′s. The name Gillanders & McLeod” stamped in cord bead tells us they were made after 1972 when Ian McLeod joined the firm.